Thursday, September 18, 2008

Taking a Breather

My parents went on a jazz safari (wooo) over this past weekend in Toronto, Canada, leaving me behind with my grandparents, watching HGTV at every waking moment. While I was stuck at home, they were out whooping it up at many different jazz clubs, all in the Toronto area. I understand that a lot of people my age don't appreciate jazz music for what it is. That's absolutely fine; we're living in an age where rap and hip-hop pretty much dominate the whole music scene. But for those who do appreciate this type of music, myself included, take a listen; you will be awed. It’s called Bohemian Rhapsody in Blue Rondo a la Turk. A mouthful, but it is pure musical genius. It’s not available on iTunes, so I will try to find a way to somehow post it someday… Sorry. There's something about this song that is captivating, something that will make a person just drop what they’re doing, and just listen. That’s just my opinion, and that’s exactly what I did. I listened. Who, in this day and age, ever just stops to listen? It feels like everyone always is in a hurry to do something, to go somewhere, to meet someone to do a project. It’s especially prevalent in our daily lives, my fellow students and friends, in the high school setting. There’s only ever just enough time to finish that math assignment, and/or active-read a really really really long epic poem, and then straight off to bed to do it all over again the next day. And I’m not giving permission to blow off school. That is not the right path, trust me. But sometimes we just need a break. I get my break by listening to music. Watching television, going for a walk, playing volleyball, having an intellectual discussion, these are all ways to take a break. My parents took a break from all the craziness and immensely enjoyed themselves. And just so you readers don’t think I’m getting all off-topic and completely switching the subject, listening to Robert Scott’s Bohemian Rhapsody in Blue Rondo a la Turk (what a hassle to type) made me come to the realization that I need to make time. Not to complete an assignment, but to listen. To take a break. And seriously, the song is awesome.

7 comments:

emilygw said...

Anna,
I must say I agree with your post. With life as hectic as it is (School, volleyball, instruments, loads of homework), no one really does stop to listen anymore. Although I am a fan of hip hop/rap music myself, I think I just might try expanding my horizons and listening to some jazz (or other types of music I wouldn't usually listen to). Thanks!

PinkCougar said...

I've been observing the constant rush in people's lives here too. Personally though, I don't think it's just the high schoolers. Adults too.

But all at the same time, a lot of times we seem to be rushing because we want to leave time to relax. We hurry to finish up that homework late wednesday night so that thursday we can go out to dinner for a grandparent's birthday. Sometimes those plans get skewered anyway because we underestimate how much work we have to do, but the rush for relaxation is still there. In school, we might for instance work hard so we can get into a good college so we can get a good job that we enjoy and is well paying so that when we are living on our own we can relax on the topic of money, or spend time relaxing every day at the job we love.

On the topic of popular music though, I personally am a fan of classical and am really loving some music before the millennium. I don't enjoy rap in the least and there are not many hip-hop songs that catch my interest.

lzillms said...

Hey, Anna! I stumbled upon your blog, and thanks to you I'm jamming out to some Queen right now! Let me first say that I can most definitely see your parents going on a jazz safari...that sounds awesome! You're totally right about people not taking time to listen. And as a side note, I can't say I'm much of a hip-hop/rap fan either. Nice work!

Madeline said...

I think this is an awesome point. Society is all about efficiency and to keep moving. We have forgotten the importance of stopping and truly enjoying what it is we're going. I also share your love for jazz. While I do enjoy rap and hip-hop, jazz is one type of music that can never be outdated. It's real, poetic, artistic music.

alliekat811 said...

Anna~
Um ya...you're definitely right about that song! For as long as you've been telling me I need to listen to it, it finally payed off! It's an amazing song, so I hope you come up for more for us to listen to! Thanks

Unknown said...

I just heard Bohemian Rhapsody in ..... on the radio, and this blog and one other place on the whole internet was the only hit from Google! Have you had any luck in finding a copy of it?

jennifer said...

My dad LOVES jazz music, and sometimes I'll listen to his songs while im just chilling or trying to get through some homework. Everyone just needs to stop what they're doing and take a breather every once in awhile, and a great way to do this is through music.